1. Z has a new smile where he crinkles his nose and squints his eyes at you in delight. It’s so precious it makes my heart burst.
2. A student called me Ma’am today and it irritated me to no end. Very polite, but it made me feel ancient. I’m 27 years old. Does that make me a ma’am? I feel like I was 21 two seconds ago. Now I’m married with child (not pregnant, but…you understand), and I’m three years from the big 3-0. What’s happening? But seriously, I feel so foolish saying that 27 is old, so very cliché of me. Maybe it’s because I’m surrounded by 18 year olds all day. Could be.
3. I recycled a plastic snack bag today. I feel so empowered! I can now take on the world. Next stop: bicycle riding. Ha! Riiiight. But I do feel like strutting.
4. My sister, brother-in-law and nephew are flying into Portland tomorrow night! Very happy. It feels like it’s been forever, but it’s been more like 6 months. Still too long to go without a visit. This is their home away from home, and not just because I’m here. They live in Santa Cruz, a city that (like Portland) is apparently so weird that people want to keep it that way.
5. Why is it that I have to say “no mayo” whenever I order a sandwich or burger? Mayonnaise is so fucking disgusting, I have never understood why so many people love it. I’d say the only food/condiment/spread that tops it in pure evil nastiness is Vegemite. I could only keep that filth in my mouth for a couple of seconds. My co-worker brought it in to the office and claimed that it was “delicious” so I slathered some on a cracker and popped it into my mouth, only to spew it forth into a nearby trash can. According to the dictionary it is a “a type of salty vegetable and yeast paste used as a spread”. Does reading that sentence make you think…Yum? Then Vegemite, my friend, is for you.